Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Lesson

In our daily lives, most of us encounter problems, troubles, inconveniences...call them what you will...big and small. In today's PC lingo, they're sometimes referred to as "challenges." As an innkeeper, I see a few...usually medical conditions that limit a guest's mobility or require special equipment in their room.

I had the privilege recently of observing a guest whose situation helped me to reflect on things that occur in my life--usually minor--that I tend to regard as "problems."

He is confined to a wheelchair and is not mobile. His vehicle, which he drives, has a ramp. With a little help from his wife, he accessed my deck and his room and his van. They adjusted to the physical arrangements immediately.

I asked about the circumstances of his disability. It was a car-truck accident when he was 19--he's now 52--resulting in spinal cord injuries. He was a college athlete--track and swimming.

And as I observed them, I reflected on how easily I become annoyed by simple things that could/should be brushed off.

The imprint he left: a big smile, easy laugh, sense of humor, positive attitude, great flexibility and a wonderful partner. When they checked out, I thanked them for providing me a reminder to be more grateful for the life I've been given, and to look at so-called "challenges" as what they often are: undiscovered opportunities.

Thanks, M and T

No comments: