Thursday, April 29, 2010

Create, Don't Fix


I built a bird feeder. A simple fly-through to attract cardinals. I'd seen one hanging around my other feeders and wanted to make it easier for him to eat. As you can see, it's already attracted a lot of business. So far the cardinal is interested, but not a customer.

For me, the project was an accomplishment. I'm not handy with tools or figuring out mechanical things. And while the feeder was roughly equivalent to building a two-foot by two-foot sandbox, at least I designed it and figured out how to suspend it, discovering turnbuckles in the process.

Fresh from that success, I decided to push my luck and repair my leaky kitchen faucet. A plumber told me that Moen provides a lifetime guarantee on their equipment. I called, they sent the necessary parts--three small rubber seals, with instructions--and I went to work. Removing the faucet itself was easy, giving me a false sense of confidence. The two old seals (14 years, original equipment) were more challenging, but I got them off.

I installed the new seals, reassembled it and turned on the water. It wasn't a leak...it was a stream. It threatened to fill one side of my triple sink. . . quickly. I toyed with it for a moment, shut off the water and moved to plan B: Call the plumber. He arrived and bailed me out.

Hence, the title: Create, Don't Fix.

No comments: