Monday, April 12, 2010

Role models and morality plays

His fans say "He's a great golfer--his personal life is his business." But...as a multi-million dollar investment for well-known companies and a role model for kids taking up the game, is that greatness still intact, still genuine? Especially as the saturation coverage of his carefully-scripted return gave way to Phil Mickelson overcoming both the competition and concern about the health of his wife and his mother.




As a kid, my life was about sports. Everything...all the time. My first job was writing sports at a daily paper in Wisconsin. Perhaps, I thought, a first step toward Sports Illustrated, then my guiding light to great sports writing. Sports gave way to the realities of life. And my years-ago passion for sports has evolved to a different level, as even SI finds it can't avoid devoting space to such topics as: loaded guns in locker rooms, ex-White House spokesmen designing apologies for wayward sports figures and various overpaid athletes sending very private photos of themselves to the world.




For me, a childhood world of sports has drifted into an uncomfortable mismash of misplaced priorities--mostly over money--like a 96-team Big Dance. Which is why the Masters was really a morality play...with the perfect ending at the final curtain.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I couldn't agree more. Nancy boycotts Nike for the morality of paying overpaid sports figures huge amounts as spokespersons. Yet, even when I was a Cub Scout leader (25 years ago), our parents wanted everyone to have a blue ribbon. A fight I won by sticking to my guns that there are winners and losers. If the young boys couldn't learn that lesson when the stakes were so low...
But it seems in the long run I lost the battle and sports ARE as political as...well, lots of stuff it seems.