Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Decade Ends

A Decade Ends
In the context of the past 10 years, Dec. 31, 2010 was a very calm day...one that turned out much calmer than I expected.
Mid-morning I connected with a Madison friend who had called several days earlier to offer congratulations on my upcoming marriage. Then, a call from Bayfield friends who invited my fiancee, Chana, and me to their home to celebrate the New Year. The party's at 8...OK, I'll buy some champagne, wine and herring to go with the hosts' nibbles. Late afternoon...another call to long-time Madison friends to catch up on family happenings.
Meanwhile, the weather was getting dicey. A three-day combination of snow, rain, sleet, then cold was creating driving havoc. Chana said the roads in Washburn were sheets of ice...she was reluctant to drive the 9 miles to Bayfield for the party. Around 7:15 she said "I'm not driving." I called the hostess and cancelled.
So...a solo New Year's Eve. I had thawed a salmon for possible consumption on New Year's Day. It was tasty, accompanied by vodka and a call from son Joel in CA for the Rose Bowl. I worked through a few Sudokus (a major achievement--I finally figured out the process). I read Time's Person of the Year issue, which took 23 pages to confirm why I choose not to be part of the world of Facebook. I called Chana and wished her a Happy New Year. A couple yawns, and it was an early-to-sleep New Year's Eve.
January 1, 2011...clear head...9 a.m. greetings from Chana...temperature zero...snow to shovel...ice to chop.
Have a good year. Leave a comment.

No comments: