Thursday, January 20, 2011

Green & Gold

Packer Memory

Talk about history. Sunday's game for the NFC title and a trip to the Super Bowl will be the first time the Packers and Bears have met in a playoff game since 1941--a week after Pearl Harbor Day.

The game has tweaked my memory for a bit of my Packer history.

As a sports reporter for a newspaper in Wausau, WI in the early 60s--five years before the Super Bowl existed--I decided, spur-of-the-moment, to visit the Packers training camp in Green Bay. It was August, 1961, and I drove over, accompanied by my wife and 9-month-old son.

After the morning practice, I caught up with Coach Vince Lombardi as he headed toward the locker room, figuring it was my chance for a quick interview...maybe a few good quotes. With pen and notebook in hand, I fired my opener: "Coach, how's practice going?"

I'll never forget that moment. He turned--didn't so much look at me, as through me--and said "Slow". Then he mumbled something like "Wait here." It suddenly occurred to me that maybe you don't drive 100 miles, unannounced, to an NFL team's summer practice and expect to get an impromptu interview with the coach.

After an uncomfortable wait, the Packers PR guy found me, answered a few questions and suggested that next time I'd be smart to let them know my plans in advance.

My story was heavy on the atmosphere surrounding practice.

And very light on the coach's comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool little slice of Pack history, Pop. Thanks for posting.